March 16, 2011

Ravioli Empanadas



Tonight The Girlfriends Mom decided she didn't want to cook and left me in charge of dinner. All the meat was frozen except for a pack of hamburger meat, so the wheel in my mind started turning, what could I make? Looking through all the cupboards I came up with these ingredients, Sofrito, Store Bought Spaghetti Sauce, 3 Eggs, Parmesan Cheese, Salt, Onion Powder, Black Pepper, Oregano, Basil, Some Frozen Empanada Wrappers, and Butter. Instantly I thought of attempting Homemade Baked Raviolis, so I fried the meat then drained the grease, put it back on the flame with everything mentioned above (to taste) and cooked it over a medium heat until simmering. 

I put the mixture aside to cool, and set out all the Empanada wraps on the clean table top.


Then put a spoonful of meat in the middle of each and egg washed the outer dough.


After that I folded the dough over and pinched the seam together.



Once all the wraps were filled and sealed, I dipped them each in the remaining egg wash to get them ready for breading.


For the breading I rolled them in a mix of Panko Bread Crumbs and Parmesan Cheese to give them a nice crispness.


Then put them all on a ungreased pan and into a preheated oven at 350 F. for 8 minutes before rotating the pan and cooking an additional 5 min.


I watched until they turned a nice golden brown and took them out of the oven and let them cool on the pan.


The flavor was good and they had a very nice crunch, but were a little dry for my taste, so I added a little extra sauce on the top of mine and it made them wonderful. 


Overall it isnt the best random recipe Ive ever come up with on such short notice, but they were quick, simple, and filling. Ill definitely make them again in the future and keep updating the ingredients until theyre perfect.



0 comments:

Post a Comment