September 29, 2011

Sourdough Sponge Starter

Recently while scanning the many useless cookbooks on the shelves of the local library, I happened upon a copy of The Complete Book of Breads by Bernard Clayton, JR. After reading through a few pages, I realized how much more potential this hands on recipe book had to offer than those of today that rely on all sorts of machinery to do the heavy mixing. After checking it out and heading home, I began reading about all the outdated techniques and tips that have been lost throughout the years of Bread making. Below is just one of the many different Sponge Starter recipes listed inside that I'll be using in future Bread posts.

Ingredients: 1 Package Dry Yeast
1 3/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Tbls. Salt
1 Tbls. Sugar
2 1/2 Cups Hot Tap Water (120F-130F)

In a medium bowl, combine together the Yeast

Flour

Sugar

And Salt, whisk thoroughly

Pour in the warm Water and stir for thirty seconds

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave in a warm area (80F-85F) for 4-5 days (scrape down the mixture daily)

After the Sponge is finished fermenting, I'll be using it to bake Sour Dough loaves.

2 comments:

Amanda Johnson said...

I love this. I hate that we lost some of our fine arts to ease and convenience.

TheBakedBaker84 said...

I Agree, It's All About How Fast And Cheap We Can Make Things Today, Instead Of Taking Pride In Our Products.

Post a Comment